The Alte Pinakothek Munich is one of the oldest and most important fine art museum in the world. More than 800 masterpieces by European artists bring to life the development of art from the Middle Ages to the end of the Rococo period. Venetian art is represented by its master painter Titian, as is Dutch baroque art by Frans Hals. Rubens occupies (with one of the largest collections of his works in the world) the center of the museum. A further highlight is the Old German art by Altdorfer and Dürer. Both Dürer’s epochal self-portrait from 1500 as well as his “Four Apostles” can be admired in the Alte Pinakothek.
The Bavarian State Painting Collections look after a substantial part of the painting and art possessions of the Free State of Bavaria and the associated Munich museums: the Alte Pinakothek, the Neue Pinakothek, the Sammlung Moderne Kunst in the Pinakothek der Moderne, the Sammlung Schack and thirteen state galleries all over Bavaria , Administrative seat is the west wing of the Neue Pinakothek. Here, art historians from various specialist areas, natural scientists and restorers of the affiliated Doerner Institute work together with numerous other employees to manage, maintain and scientifically develop the large inventory of more than 30,000 objects.
Alte Pinakothek Munich History
The Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen are the successor authority of the “Centralgemäldegaleriedirektion”, which was founded in the late 18th century, after the painting stock of the Wittelsbacher was greatly increased due to the succession-induced transfer of Mannheim and Zweibrücken gallery.
The collection of the Alte Pinakothek (Old Pinakothek) originated in the 1500s in the private collection of the Wittelsbach family. The museum now boasts one of Europe’s oldest and most magnificent painting collections. The museum, founded by the avid art collector and Bavarian king Ludwig I, opened in 1836 and soon became a widely imitated model throughout Europe for housing and displaying art.
A little later, at the beginning of the 19th century, the secularisation and the takeover of the Düsseldorf gallery added further growth. With the stock also changed the houses. First housed in the New Palace Schleißheim, a new gallery was built between 1777 and 1782 for the paintings in the courtyard garden of the residence. Between 1826 and 1836, the (old) Pinakothek was built, and in 1853, the “Neue Pinakothek” for the “contemporary” art of the century (destroyed in 1944-45). From 1919, the more modern works of the second half of the 19th century were exhibited in the Kunstausstellungsgebäude on Königsplatz, which from then on was called “Neue Staatsgalerie”.
Barer Str. 27, 80333 München, Almanya
Telefon: +49 89 23805216